11.14.2010

Glum...and an addiction!

Wow! The state of my house when I woke up this morning was SO disasterous.  It just made me feel sad & overwhelmed that I had all that mess to deal with. Cleaning & tidying are just so constant around here...and I really feel like I just can't keep up to the mess that a busy toddler, a little but mighty dog, and a man make! (never mind the mess that momma makes as meals are prepped, cooked, etc). To make a long story short, I basically woke up feeling rather glum.  I was grouchy at the little man, grouchy at the dog and grouchy at myself (how do I let it get this out of control?). I'm sure many of you can relate.  Definitely one of the challenges of being a woman - we wear so many hats.

Rather than depress you with any more drivel & snivel, I will tell you what I did do to releive some of the angst...

I turned off all the lights.  I opened up all the blinds.  I let the grey, but natural light fill the house = peace.
I slowly & systematically tidied up and put things away.
I shoved as many dirty dishes into the dishwasher as could fit and stacked the rest by the sink. Ran the hot water, got out the dish brush (I have a thing against what I call "sink goobies" - can't handle washing dishes in a sink full of standing water - I know, I know - I apologize to the environment) and tackled the mess.
Stopped a few times to cuddle with the little man or sit down and play or read a story.
Didn't allow myself to get too sidetracked for too long.
Got back to the mess.

Finally I am at a point where I feel that I have conquered the mess (mostly).  It is such an incredibly restful feeling...now I'm just taking a deep breath so I'm ready to tackle it all once again in a few hours (because it is inevitable). 

Hopefully with B napping, I can get a little school work done.  That is another mountain that will need a slow and steady attack.

Natural light...
Deep breaths (alot of them)...
Taking time for my little man...
Persistence...

...these are the things that got me out of my glum today.
Oh - and how could I forget!
One bite brownies...my newest addiction.

Here is the recipe:
1/4 c butter, softened
1 1/4 c sugar (I use half sugar, half splenda)
2 lrg eggs
1 t vanilla
1/2 t instant coffee (dissolved in 1 t water)
     Cream butter & sugar; add eggs, beat well. Add vanilla & instant coffee.
1 c flour
1/2 c cocoa
1/4 t baking powder
1/4 t salt
    Mix dry ingredients in separate bowl.  Add slowly to wet mixture.  Mix well. Drop by teaspoon into mini  
    muffin tin. Bake @ 350 for 12-15 minutes (be careful NOT to overcook). Let cool in pan before
    removing.

    Devour.  Enjoy.  Smile. (and add chocolate chips if you are a chocoholic like me :)
What gets you out of the "glum"?

No comments:

Post a Comment