2.05.2011

The Winter...blahs?

Today, while the snow was falling and the temperatures warm (relatively speaking, for us here in Saskatchewan at least...feeling sorry for those in the normally "warmer" climates that are experiencing temps the same as our current ones) I decided to take out the ol' macro lens and practice some more.  I am challenging myself to find beauty in the bleakness that can sometimes be the winterscape. I am challenging myself to play around more with textures, less with actions for a different editing approach. In order for me to get a "decent" macro shot in the winter I am starting to accept it will take setting up the tripod - something that if you know me, know is not my norm and something I'm not likely to do (as usually I am trying to snap some pics while multi-tasking at something else, lol...like walk the dog). Basically, what I'm saying is that I'm not feeling the "love" with these pics I snapped today...but feel it is important to share so that I may look back and reflect upon how much I've grown in technique (crossing my fingers - or someone is going to have a macro lens for sale) when spring and summer hit. 

I struggle so much with converting any pic I take to b&w...I love it when others do, but can't seem to find the perfect editing combo for myself. Thought I would try this b&w texture today - again - not satisfied with the results, but definitely different than anything I've tried before. Therefore challenge taken successfully - check.

I would normally walk past things in nature like the seed pods that follow and think of them as so "ugly" and definitely NOT picture-worthy...but today, I tried to see "outside the box".  Challenge taken - check. Actually kind of like how this texture warmed the tones a bit...feels less like the standard "grey-blue" winter snap, and although it is not truly a macro shot, I managed to get the focus sharper with this lens than in the past. Are they beautiful? Hmmm...still leaning to the "not-so-much"...but at least I tried, right?


Thanks for sticking with me while I embark on this journey to "strive" to be a better me.  This snapping endeavour is just one small facet of that mission :)



Hope you are all having an absolutely fabulous weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment