8.03.2011

A moment...

08.03.2011

This afternoon, during a quiet time rocking my precious little baby to sleep, I had a moment.
A moment, that as I snuggled my face into the crook of my precious little baby's neck, of complete smallness.
I'm not sure if you know what I mean by this...I don't often have these moments, but when I do they are always profound. I'm going to try to explain myself, although I'm not sure I have the words to do so.
I felt small, in a big, big, big world.
But it wasn't a sense of inadequacy.
It wasn't a sense of insignificance.
Because the moment was so powerful.
So powerful.
It was a fleeting moment of peace, of absolutely everything being completely, totally right at that particular time, in that particular place. I was just a small speck with the rest of the world revolving around me, kind of like how I imagine being in the eye of a hurricane to be.
The moment lasted perhaps 20 seconds...maybe a little less, maybe a little more - but my point is it was just that - a moment.
I'm not sure where these moments stem from. I'm not sure it matters.
What I do know is that these moments almost always lead to some sort of reflection of life.
What I do know is that these moments seem to have a definite purpose.
They serve to slow me down in the crazy, hectic journey of life that is so easy to get caught up in (as in, gotta get this done, that done, gotta go here, go there, gotta go, gotta stop, gotta go, repeat).
Today, my moment of smallness left me with a serene sense of calm and gratitude.
It left me knowing and treasuring how much I love (with all my heart) the two little beings that are my sons.
It left me thinking about how there is so much in life that you just have to trust your instincts about (especially parenting).
It left me sitting here, trying to explain it all, while looking out the window and listening to the birds chirping, the sun streaming down, the leaves swaying in the breeze...the scene almost glistening...as if somehow this scene is so much more beautiful than it ever would have been ordinarily.
Kooky, I know.
But so simple yet amazing to have experienced.

Do any of you ever experience moments like these? I hope you do...

No comments:

Post a Comment