1.01.2011

2011 :)

The start of a new decade.
Wow.
Life goes SO fast.
2011 will bring change to our lives.
Many things to look forward to...
New challenges...

I am starting the year off by focusing on tangible things (aka: projects) I can do to live life to the fullest, maximum potential.
Why?
1. It is important to me.  I am the kind of person that can dwell on the negative aspects of life too easily when great things are happening all around me.  I believe in the power of being grateful.  I believe in living consciously, with intention. I believe in trying to be the best me I can be. Sometimes I simply forget these fundamental beliefs, and allow myself to be carried along with the chaos - enter what I call "survival mode". And while every now and then this is essential, and part of life, I need to remind myself of the "great things" on a continuing basis.
2. I want to lead a full, and fulfilled life. I think the only way to get there is by actively doing so. This is one action I can take.
3. It lets me tell my story. I am an ordinary person leading an ordinary life, but I want to leave a legacy to those people of the future that may wish to know more about what made me "me" in the year 2011. 

So, here are the "how".  The projects I plan to tackle this year, and my approach to each:
1. Project Life
Last year was my first year with this project.  I attempted it as a "Project 365/Picture of the day". Although I didn't take exactly a picture a day, I did take many more pictures that helped represent our everyday life than I ever would have otherwise. I also kept what could loosely be called a "daily diary". I already love looking back through the album. I'm not sure I would call the project a complete success as it lacked focus. I did not keep up with it as well as I would have liked, and found that once I returned to school I felt it a "burden" and something that hovered over my head.

This year, I purchased two kits. (I know, I know...at this point your mind is giving you a ?? - one of the main reasons I chose to go with two is that I am chronically indecisive and couldn't decide which design I liked best, lol...so I just decided to "go with it")
Here is how I plan to approach the project this year. I have some pretty specific goals.
First kit(turquoise edition): A documentation of our daily FAMILY life (somewhat similar to last year's) by:
   - organizing by month (vs. daily)
   - taking pictures of everyday life (must include: at least ONE picture of EACH individual person of our family per month - including me!, at least ONE picture of food we have eaten, at least ONE picture of an experience we have had, at least ONE picture of an item important to us in that month, at least ONE "group" family picture per month) - I am not setting a limit to how few or how many pictures need to be taken in the month outside of these requirements...but I want the pictures taken to be representative of life that month, collectively
   - keeping a daily journal/diary - including tasks, schedules, thoughts, things to remember, etc. (for help with this task I am choosing to use Log Your Memory)

   - including some of the everyday "stuff" of life (receipts, appointment slips, artwork, etc)
   - asking other members of the family (aka hubby, parents, etc) to contribute to the project in different ways throughout the year
   - taking time to summarize and "complete" each month at the end of that month/start of the next
Second kit (amber edition): A documentation of our child(ren):
   - one of my favourite parts of the 2010 album is watching how B changed throughout the year; I intend to make an album of his first year...but it is so hard and time-consuming to sort through all the pictures, upload, compile, etc...I want this to be a more informal way of doing just that for next year - think of it as a "first cut" of possible pictures, moments, etc.
  - I also plan to try to keep up with this one monthly, but set aside time in the middle of each month to do so
  - I thought of doing one album per child (eek!)...but for me this year, it will be more manageable a task and more meaningful to make it more of a sibling journey
  - the focus is entirely on the child(ren) and their impact in my life
  - journalling will include entries that summarize things about them, milestones they reach, as well as some addressed to each of them
So...
there may be some repetition through both albums. I'm ok with that, expecting it even. The albums may evolve into something different as the year progresses. I'm ok with that, too. My main goal with both is to have documentation of what life was collectively about in 2011...what was important and what was the everyday. I'm excited to get started! (As I type the kits are waiting at my US post office box for pick-up).

2. Word of the Year
Inspired by Ali Edwards, I have chosen ONE word to live my 2011 by. Of course, being me (that chronically indecisive me), I will also endeavour to periodically give focus to some of the other words that were "runners-up" for 2011 - maybe a different word each month?
I will either start or finish each month of my 2011 project life by dedicating a journal entry to my word (as well as create a blog post). I am considering joining the online class Ali is leading in order to give this project justice...but not quite ready to commit at this point...giving myself until Jan. 15th to make a choice on this :) A post is coming soon sharing my word!

3. Setting goals
I would like to make and stick to a set of resolutions...but the honest truth of the matter is that a few months into the year, I always lose steam. By the end of the year, the resolutions have little to no meaning, or I feel like a desperate failure.  This year, I thought it would be more realistic to set periodic goals throughout the year. It will hopefully allow a bit of flexibility in what is priority at different parts of the year and allow me to retain focus and feel more successful as the year progresses! I am narrowing down some goals for the start of the year right now and will share in the near future.

Thanks for bearing with me on this lengthy post! I hope by sharing my ideas on how to document and make 2011 a great year, I will help:
1. inspire you to think about how to make your 2011 the best it can be
2. make me stick to my ideas and goals

Welcome, 2011!
Can't wait to see what the year brings :)

No comments:

Post a Comment