4.21.2010

What is the point?

I've had a few people ask me about my "Week in the Life" project...so I thought I would quickly address some of the inquiries. (Remember my inspiration for this project comes from Ali Edwards. Check out her blog for more information!)

Q: What excitement do you find to take pictures of?
A: There is no excitement. That is the point. My entire purpose with this project is to document the "everyday ordinary". My life, relatively speaking, is boring.  But it is my life. And I love it. And I want to remember what life at this stage was all about. In 6 months, 2 years, 5 years, or in 50 years (should I be so lucky).

Q: I've been thinking of doing something similar...but wouldn't it be kind of repetitive?
A: Yes...if your life has routines & schedules that are the same day to day, then there is repetition in your life. Document it. That is the point. Again, the purpose of a project like this is to sample your life as it is this week. You can make it anything you want it to be.

Q: Is your main reason for doing this project simply to create a "scrapbook" of a week of your life?
A: Essentially, yes! But I also hope to better appreciate the little things...to slow down and savour the routines and moments in my life that I tend to take for granted.

Q: Are you supposed to focus on taking pictures or recording events?
A: There is no right answer.  Whatever makes the most sense to you...and what helps you meet your goal or purpose for this project. I am trying to find a balance between the two.  I had initially thought I would write an overview of each day, but I am finding it easier to write in point form according to the time of day.  This may evolve as the week progresses.

Q: What are you going to do with all the pictures and journalling you do?
A: I plan to create a layout for each day and add it to my Project Life binder (at this point I am planning digital layouts).  My "Week in the Life" pages will be 8.5 x 11" whereas the remaining Project Life is 12 x 12".

Q: Will you be using every picture you take?
A: Not likely. I will select my favourite pictures or the images that best represent each day.

There it is, folks! Hope it makes a little more sense :)
(And for those of you still left scratching your head...just chalk it up to the crazy lady with the camera.  Just saying)

No comments:

Post a Comment